The Aftermath newsletter: Can games save the news?

Happy Friday! You've got Riley and Luke in your inbox this week, running down everything that happened at Aftermath. If you like what you see, please consider becoming a subscriber. We'd love to have you.
Subscribe
Why Big Publications Like The New York Times Are Making Games (But Barely Covering Them)

Nathan writes about how outlets like The Times, The Post, and even Polygon are hoping in-house games can save the news. 

Classified: France 44 Sneaks Up Behind Nazi Germany And Stabs It In The Ribs

You will be shocked to learn that Luke enjoyed a turn-based tactics game.

Clap Or AI Gets It

Can bad reviews kill companies? I look at the drama surrounding Marques Brownlee's negative Humane AI pin review, and argue that it's a start.

Comments of the Week

And from Luke's blog about terrible electronics names:
Many of you shared your own stories about moving in my article about the new Bluey episode, but also there was this:
I Own The Most Sensitive Car In The World
Luke Plunkett

I had to get up extra early this morning to say goodbye to my car for a week or two. I only bought it a year ago and yet here I was today, waving a teary farewell as it was hoisted onto a tow truck and whisked away for repairs.

You might look at this image and think, uh, is the car really damaged? Enough to warrant a tow truck? I'm here to say I thought the same thing, and this whole affair has been an exercise in showing me just how sensitive modern cars can be.

The "accident" we were involved in was a guy nudging into our rear at an intersection. He scratched the plastic bumper and put a little dent in the license plate. Honestly, in any other car I've ever owned, I'd have just shrugged my shoulders and got on with life, the tiny scratches not worth the hassle of getting insurance companies involved.

But in this car? Under the license plate was also where some parking and, more importantly, safety sensors were located, and that "little nudge" managed to break two of them. Which got my car really upset. It wouldn't stop warning me and yelling at me to get them fixed, because without them I could be in danger, and those warnings were so constant and annoying–displaying right in the centre of my driver display like an undismissable malware prompt in a browser–that I had to acknowledge the damage, call my insurance and get the thing fixed. 

And so there it goes, getting towed despite looking pristine, like a kid pretending to be asleep so their dad can carry them upstairs after a drive home. I appreciate the concern for my safety! But also, if a nudge so tiny I was willing to ignore it can also cause so much damage, what are we doing here? I wasn't at fault and my insurance is covering everything, but this is thousands of dollars of damage and paperwork over a lil' bump. Sure doesn't seem like a sustainable way to run a car, or car insurance, company!
Some good stuff I saw around the internet:

Aftermath has two podcasts: Aftermath Hours, where we discuss the week's biggest gaming news, and 52 Pickup, where Gita Jackson and Alex Jaffe take you through the world of the greatest DC Comics series you've never heard of. Check them out on Spotify, Apple, or wherever you get your podcasts.
And there you go! I have to pack up my whole apartment this weekend, so please go have fun in my stead.

Aftermath

418 Broadway, #8040, Albany, NY 12207

Unsubscribe - Unsubscribe Preferences

Popular posts from this blog

Brain Food: How Steve Jobs Learned to Lead

Would you pay Meta £14.99 p/m for this?

🎧 How to Use Claude Code as a Second Brain