ICYMI: Canva Create’s Confetti-Filled Tech Event ๐
[Canva cofounders, Cliff Obrecht, Melanie Perkins and Cameron Adams, and team] I hope you had a good week and — if you’re in North America — about to enjoy a long weekend. I just started working with YouTubers Colin and Samir — who are truly the creator’s creators — leading the Brain Trust community sessions that are part of their Creator Startup cohort. I’m a huge fan of the Colin and Samir universe and recommend everyone subscribe to the YouTube channel and their Publish Press newsletter for the creator’s perspective on branded content and business ventures. ⏰ 1-SECOND SUMMARY
💻 ROADMAP📲 TikTok Updates
📲 YouTube Updates
📲 Meta Updates
Related: 3 tips to make content more shareable
📲 LinkedIn Updates
📲 Pinterest Updates
📲 X (Twitter) Updates
📲 Twitch Updates
Inside Canva’s LA Summit[Canva CEO Mel Perkins and Disney CEO Bob Iger] Canva hosted Canva Create 2024 at the YouTube Theater at SoFi Stadium Thursday, bringing together 50+ speakers for product launches, keynotes, workshops and swag stations delivered to over 2M online viewers and 3.5K in-person attendees. This was not a niche event — Canva has 185 million MAUs (monthly active users). If you weren’t able to make the live event in LA, here’s a mini recap... What’s going on: This was Canva’s first North American event and marked a major shift from a focus on individual social marketers and creators to workplace products that serve enterprise teams. “Over our first decade we really focused on empowering every person. But what we're really excited about over this next decade is also empowering every organization,” said co-founder and CEO Mel Perkins. The day kicked off with product announcements, confetti cannons, and a fireside chat between Perkins and Disney CEO Bob Iger, an early investor and board member. Who else was there: Adam Grant, Guy Kawasaki, library influencer Mychal Threets, Corporate Natalie and actress, writer and producer Mindy Kaling. Product Updates Announced: There were a total of 101 updates but the announcements centered around three buckets
Announcement Highlight: There were a lot of different upgrades and new features announced but these seemed particularly interesting in helping creators work faster and more efficiently
ICYMI Community Questions: I passed your Canva questions along to CMO Zach Kitschke. Here’s what he said… Q - Are you going to have educational components to help write better AI prompts? ZK: We do have a ton of educational content on Canvas Design School. So you can go there. We're actually launching, very shortly, certifications as well. So there is definitely some tutorial content around our AI function. But also I’ll take that as a bit of feedback. We'll make sure that we're taking a look at the content. Q - Is the imagery I put on there totally private once it’s there. ZK: Yes, it is private. *Canva launched a creator program in October 2023 to compensate people whose designs are used to train AI but that’s part of a separate, opt-in program for creators who contribute to the Canva library. Q - I want better organization for projects beyond folders. My client stuff gets mixed with my stuff and I can’t archive or hide it without deleting it for everyone. ZK: Yeah, one of the big things [that is part of the overhaul of the Canva experience] is organization. Q - I’ve been trying to use it on my iPad but I don’t find it to be as great of an experience. Are you planning on a better UI for iOS? ZK: We did launch Draw recently, so they may not be aware of that functionality… It should be a consistent experience across the board. We're on every device: on the web, on your laptop or desktop, iOS, Android, tablet. We've got a desktop app now which is really great. That's how I use Canva. 🎁 If you’re a Canva superfan, I have swag from the event (a branded tote, 2 caps, a scarf and a kangaroo mascot). I’d be happy to send it to you. Reply to this email and I’ll select someone at random to receive. 👀 IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
Thanks for reading! To keep up with more industry events, see what’s happening soon in the ICYMI’s Event Database and let us know if there’s an event you think people should be aware of. Invite your friends and earn rewardsIf you enjoy ICYMI by Lia Haberman, share it with your friends and earn rewards when they subscribe. |

